Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My favorite place...Honduras

A couple years ago, my family and I went on a cruise. We visited ports down the coast of Mexico and into Honduras. When I walked down the ramp, off of the ship and onto the beach in Roatan, Honduras, I was amazed by what I saw. The white sand stretched in front of me until it met the beautiful blue-green water of the ocean. I had never seen water that color before. Sure, I had seen the blue water off the coast of Florida and the usually brown water of the Gulf in Galveston, Texas, but I never like this.

Image of the Honduran Coast. Photo by Denise Clarke. Web Source: Flickr

Our first activity of the day was to go snorkeling. Standing on the sand with the sea breeze playing with my hair, I couldn't wait to immerse myself in the beautiful water and to see all of the activity in the sea. If the water alone was this unique, the life underneath had to be as well. As my sister and I swam among the colorful fish, I couldn't help but be humbled by the scene that stretched out before me. Fish where everywhere. Some swam so close that I could feel the water displaced by their fins slide against my skin. Their scales ranged from dark blue mixed with yellow, to pink and a shimmery clear. Some where brown with white spots stretching down their backs, while some were solid bright yellow or orange. I didn't know there could be so many variations and so many vibrant shades on fish! Swimming among them, I couldn't help but feel very jealous of the people who lived here and were so close to this water and this experience.

A snorkeling expedition off the Honduran Coast. Web Source: Bella Bay Roatan

The rest of the afternoon, my mom and I splashed in the waves while my dad and sister threw a frisbee on the beach. We were all so relaxed and happy in the bright, hot sun. Eventually it was time to re-board the ship and as we pulled away, my family stood on the top deck to watch the island slip away into the distance and into our memories. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, small world, Morgan! Somebody else shared a picture of a beach in Honduras... now I just need to figure out who it was... yes, it is Eryn, who is in Myth-Folklore, so maybe the two of you can connect at some point! Here is the picture she shared: Eryn - Honduras. When I was in my freshman year of high school, we lived in Hawaii and I went snorkeling there, and it was just like what you described: this amazing, beautiful world just below the surface of the water. It's like magic! Thanks for sharing these great pictures; now I want to go snorkeling again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Morgan!
    I love reading about people’s favorite places because I love to travel! I’ve never been to Honduras but it seems awesome the way you have described it! I love traveling to oceanic destinations and doing underwater activities like snorkeling. It is so neat seeing all of the colorful fish.
    Sounds like this was such a fun trip with your family!

    ReplyDelete