Friday, January 22, 2016

An overview of the untextbook

When looking at the different options for the Week 2 and 3 readings, the first unit that grabbed my attention was Bible Women. I was looking through the biblical stories because faith is a very large part of my family life at home and has always had a big role in my parent's life. While I was living at home, faith was one thing that they really tried to emphasize and pass down to my siblings and I. Through all of my years going to church, though, I have not heard many sermons on the women in the Bible. There are so many strong, intelligent women who are written about. However, they do not seem to get studied as much as the men. I am interested very interested in reading more about them.

Another unit that caught my eye was the one titled Ancient Egyptian Myths and Stories in the Weeks 4-5 readings. Egypt has always been a fascinating and exotic place to me. It blows my mind that humans built the pyramids before there were machines or construction equipment like in modern day. Upon reading the overview, I was even more intrigued. As I mentioned earlier, Christian faith has always been a large part of my life which means I have never really considered other beliefs about how the Earth was created. I have also briefly studied Ra, Isis, and the other ancient Egyptian gods in my Humanities class in grade school. However, I would like to know more about them and their role in the ancient Egyptian's lives.


The third unit that caught my eye is the Arabian Nights unit. Whenever I think of Arabian Nights, I think of the Disney movie, Aladdin. While I'm sure Aladdin is not the most accurate representation of Arabia, I think it would be interesting to read the Arabian Nights unit and see if I can tell if any inspiration for the movie came from the stories. In addition, I think the "nesting" technique would be cool to read because I'm not really familiar with it. I think the concept of stories within stories sounds challenging to follow, but I think it could also add a new dimension to the stories and make them more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I am so curious to hear what you think about the Bible Women unit, Morgan... it was so hard to decide which women to include because of course there are SO MANY great women's stories in there. And both the Egypt unit and Arabian Nights units have some great women characters also: Isis is amazing, and she is a big focus of the Egypt unit, and then the Arabian Nights are stories told by Scheherazade, one of the great heroines of all time. I hope you will have fun thinking about these women and their stories!

    ReplyDelete