Friday, January 22, 2016

Morgan's Storybook Favorites

The first storybook that caught my eye was Kindergarten Shenanigans. The title was the first part of the blog that caught my eye because of the unique name. From the overview, it sounds like the title accurately represents what the blog is about. The topic is fairly familiar to me because I think we’ve all heard fables or stories were supposed to learn lessons from at some point in our lives, especially in grade school. In addition, I can relate to sitting down on a rug during the day during Kindergarten to hear a story and take a break from the day.

I like how the author styled the introduction to the story. They took on the persona of the teacher asking her Kindergarten students to take a break from their math lesson and listen to the story. In addition, the teacher elaborated on some of the lessons the kids could learn through the stories. The language was simple but I think that was some of the appeal to me. It made the storybook seem relaxing and inviting. Like I could sit down and leisurely read them without have to focus too hard.

The layout of the stories was appealing to me. I liked how there was a quote or a “life lesson” in italics at the top of the story. I thought that was a good way to put the reader in the right mindset for what they were about to read and could help them interpret the story better. I would like to do something like this in my post if possible. One thing I did not really like was how pictures broke up the writing. For me personally, I like it better when all of the writing is together where I can read the story in it’s entirety without being interrupted. I feel like it helps my thoughts flow, especially in shorter stories like these. Also, I feel like the author could have found more interesting photos so this is something I would attempt to do in my storybook.


The second storybook that looked interesting to me was The Temptation of Zeus. I think stories about temptation and lovers always is interesting because there’s a sense of danger and excitement. I also like how they tied in the Greek gods and the mythology that goes along with it. I think the title accurately represents what the storybook is about because it is all about the other goddesses that Zeus was tempted by. This topic is rather new to me because I have not studied Greek mythology before. I know some about it just by learning through media and other references, however I have never read any of the stories. 

When I first clicked on the blog, I was not a huge fan of the colors used. Probably because I am a girl, I would not choose to use grey and black for my storybook. However, the introduction was interesting to me because it touched on each of the goddesses they planned to talk about and mentioned some of Zeus’s powers such as shape shifting. It made the stories seem like they were going to be interesting and full of detail.

Layout wise, on most of the pages, they had a picture on the top of the page and then the writing underneath. As I mentioned above, I prefer this layout. In addition, I liked how the bibliography was at the end of the writing. This way, it didn’t interrupt the story, yet all of the information needed was present.

The third storybook that intrigued me was Shakespearean Gossip. I am a huge fan of the T.V. show Gossip Girl, so the name coupled with the image on the opening page really grabbed my attention. Also, as a girl, I enjoy gossiping with my friends and talking. I am curious how the writer pulls gossip out of the Shakespearean stories and highlights them in their writing. This topic is not entirely new to me since I have read several Shakespearean plays throughout my education. 

For the layout, I liked the photos that the author chose. I think they helped add another element to the story that was not there before. I also liked how they included a lot of quotes throughout their story to add more credibility and help keep the story succinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment