Thursday, April 28, 2016

**House For Sale**

A small, cozy cottage deep in the countryside that is perfect for raising your children or enjoying your space from the bustling city. Located just close enough to the main city to be convenient, but far enough a way to feel the seclusion and tranquility that nature can provide. The spacious rooms and living area allow for the house to be full of many people. This would allow for the space to be rented out as extra income, or for you to have great gatherings of friends and family. The large windows in the front allow for a view of the rolling hills and mountains. Farmland is available to your family for either stables or farming.

(The Cabin) 


Property Details
-A four bedroom cottage. Large rooms that are perfect for multiple beds depending on your needs.
-a large outhouse located near the back of the house
-spacious living area and kitchen
-lamps for gas lights
-large lot perfect for stables or farming with a view of the mountains 
-many windows allow for plenty of light 
-about a half an hour from the main city
-closest neighbors about ten minutes on horseback

Features 
-lamps for gas lights throughout the home
-fencing to keep cattle or other animals contained
-many trees to provide shade and greenery to the lot
-acres of grass that is perfect for feeding or for families to enjoy
-large stables already built to accommodate animals of the family and travelers
-insulation to not let wind and other debris through cracks in the walls or window of the cottage
-sturdy roofing to protect against rain and other weather conditions
-built in fire stove to allow for heating and cooking in the house

Disclaimer
This cottage is located where Death tends to appear. Should Death appear in the night, everyone in the cottage shall perish. However, several years ago, a Cossack was visiting. When Death appeared and reached through the window, the Cossack cut off her arm. All of the villagers set out the next morning to find death and see her demise. Once they came to the Ponomar's cottage down the road, the daughter was laying on the stove, missing an arm. Therefore, it could be said that Death has appeared at this current cottage. That next morning, the Death witch was drowned so we can assure that occupants will remain safe and out of danger. 

Author's note: 
I am writing this story based off of The Witch Girl from the Russian Folktales unit. In the story, a Cossack comes to a cottage and asks if there is a place for him to stay. The owner replies, "Come in, if you don't fear Death", which really confuses the Cossack. When he walks inside, there are families in there crying and praying. They are expecting Death to come that night. Should Death visit the cottage, everyone would die. So, they all go to bed except the Cossack, who stays up all night to keep watch. Once Death appears and reaches in through the window, he cuts off her arm. The next morning, the Cossack tells everyone what he has done and they go out in search of Death. They find a girl at the Ponomar's cottage, laying on the stove missing an arm. When the Cossack explains to the man what has happened and shows him the arm, the man demands for his daughter to be drowned. 

I didn't really feel like writing more on this topic, so I decided to write a real estate listing for the cottage. I thought it would be a more fun and creative topic. Since real-estate agents have to disclose events like death that have happened in a house, the story ties in to the Disclaimer at the end. I didn't really change anything of the story, more just put it in a different format. 

Bibliography:
The Witch Girl from Russian Fairy Tales by W.R.S. Ralston (1887). 

4 comments:

  1. I was sold on the cottage until the disclaimer. It was a little too freaky and I do fear death, atlas at 21 years old. I liked how you made this a real estate listing! Super clever, but I don't think it is going to sell very well with its history. Im a little shocked that death is a girl, I'm not sure why but I guess the grim reaper is always depicted as a man. Its a shame that the armless death was on the stove, because that really needs to be replaced before someone buys. I would not want to cook my food knowing that happened. Great story though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is great! I absolutely love the layout you chose to write in. What a fun and original idea. I have actually read the original story to this, and you chose such a neat way to make a spin off story that I would have never thought of! The "disclaimer" is so funny, makes me laugh to think about prospective buys seeing that. Thanks for sharing, good luck on your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the font of your blog! I do not believe I have seen it before now! I really like this story. I too have read the original story and you did an awesome job make your own adaptation of it here! Great job. I hope you have a good summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Morgan!
    I haven't been to your blog in a while and I forgot how adorable everything is on it! I loved the style you chose for this storybook post! It was something I have not seen on anyone else's. I love how original it was and it definitely fit for the topic of the story. Great job and I hope you have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete